Over the last couple of days, I played with Prima Marketing molds and paper clay. I bought three different molds from PM after I watched their video and was impressed with their cool detailed look and different ways of coloring them. First I tried to fill them with a glue gun, which was fast, but with bubbles and uneven edges. Next I filled them all with a lightweight clay…a very meditative process. Following instructions, I let them dry overnight. Just look at this beauty! I was afraid that the figures would be too heavy for papercraft, but they are almost weightless! Filling all three molds (22 figures) took a third of a clay pack.
Of course, I couldn’t wait to color them, trying different mediums and paints. For gold and silver, I used Rub-n-buff wax, which also turned out great on just embossed cardstock. You just have to use a very light touch. I love how real it looks!
Now, what to do with all this beauty?! :)) Incorporating these into my cards was really a challenge because I’m not big in mixed media and heavy looking embellishments. First I tried using that green wave painted with PM patina effect paste. The colors really match the Beneath the Sea collection of Graphic45, which I happened to have since I love Graphic45 and have almost all of their collections 🙂 And so, here is my result: a sea-themed steampunkish card. I tried to keep a balance between not being too heavy with embellishments while still incorporating that wave.
Today’s card turned out pretty formal. I had this idea of putting red and gold scribbled roses from MFT into a rectangular shape. I tried several different color combinations and stopped on the formal black on black square. Maybe later I’ll repeat this design in craft or white.
Today I was in a mixed media mood. Also I needed a birthday card for a friend. So, here it is: a mixed media birthday card 🙂 I played with a grungy set from Tim Holtz for background using blue and grey inks for stamping and his texture paste for embossing. I wanted the card to be light and airy. Then I cut a Spellbinder’s butterfly from watercolor paper. I colored it with Jane Davenport’s watercolors, love how vibrant it turned out. For some bling, I added Wink of stella shimmer on the butterfly, silver thread under her and some tiny rhinestones around. I put the butterfly a little off the edges and the sentiments far down to show her fly 🙂
Yesterday I continued experimenting with my “leather”. Turned out that it can be embossed just fine. I made an embossed stripe, put it on the “jeans” piece of paper, added the biggest sticker on the top, and BAM! The card is ready. I added a light border to bind it all together. Inside I added another piece of embossed “leather” imitating that label on the back of your jeans.
Today I made two more cards in country style and finished that set of stickers! Mission complete! Very proud of myself! 🙂
Yesterday I tried a new technique – making faux leather from tissue paper. I learned it from Sandy Allnock’s video, and the leather turned out so real! I used Mod podge to glue the tissue paper, then I covered it all with white gesso and painted it with a Prima marketing’s Gold rust paste (which looks just like a yellow acrylic paint). For the brown I dabbed Tim Holtz Vintage photo disterss stain, and sealed it all with his collage medium. So, it’s a messy technique but totally worth it! I especially like how distressed it looks on the edges.
Then I made a couple of cards with it. I picked up a set of cowboy stickers in Jo-Ann the other day and decided to make a challenge for myself – make three or four cards with these stickers, since I never use stickers in my cards. So, the first two cards are here.
One is more cowboyish and the other is more cowgirlish. I struggled with the boyish one since the “leather” is a little heavy and there is not much you can do with it since it sealed. It doesn’t pick up inks from stamping, and I’m not sure if it can be embossed. Things to discover. So, finally I just made a dark die cut ornament and a shining star on the top. The girlish card came together more easily, since I noticed how the blue flowers and jeans paper fit each other. The star sticker, red-toned leather and white and blue paper make a perfect Texas flag, and all that was left for me to do was to finish it with faux stitches on the borders. I really like this card!
Today I continued to play with the Geometrical greenery set. First, I finished the green trio of cards with a partially watercolored one. Added a Spellbinder’s butterfly made from white cardstock and vellum.
Then I thought about the 4th of July coming, as well as red-and-blue card challenges, and decided to use the geometrical nature of leaves to make an abstract flag. So three simple cards came up with patriotic vibes and minimum embelishments.
Today I played with the MFT leaves set. It’s from last year’s collection, but I bought it only recently and I love it! The leaves are so versatile. I wanted to make a bright card, so I used the brightest greens I have – one from Jane Davenport’s bright watercolor set and one from Tim Holtz’ distress inks, Mowed Lawn. Plus some Forest Moss for interest. It was so bright that even vellum couldn’t tone it down, so I had to use two layers of vellum to make a focal point :))
The second card came very easily – I guess embossing and vellum always work together! 🙂 All in all I’m happy with the results 🙂 Here are pictures of the process and cards.
Yesterday I played with “The nice nurse is on vacation” stamps set from Art Impressions. I found it at Michaels, and the set is hilarious 🙂 I colored some images with pencils, and others with watercolors, and ended up with a funny I…C…U… card. I’m planning to make several more cards with these dudes 🙂