CAS Thank you card

Today I made a card for the (CAS)E this Sketch challenge #229. Such an inspirational sketch! ๐Ÿ™‚ I decided to make a background with texture paste, something like a brick wall, and my set of Tim Holtz’s texture scrapers caught my eye. TH’s flower die was a perfect match, though the flower that I used was turned the wrong way. So, when cut from the back, it looked debossed, not embossed. To reduce that effect I heat embossed it with a clean powder.

In the end, I like the eastern vibes in this card.

 

Mediterranean, baroque and others

I continued to play with my clay figures. First, I used that stone-like colored piece. It looked too heavy by its own on the card, so I made a brick wall with a stencil and texture paste and colored it with the same Distress Paint Antique Linen and Glimmer mist. The azure background and some greens finished the Mediterranean scene. I used a new Peacock Feather Oxide for the sea and different greens from Distress Inks and Oxides for the leaves.

Then I made a clean and simple card for the CAS(E) this Sketch! challenge. I just wanted to try a new technique from the June issue of The Craft Stamper magazine. ย The ombrรฉ effect in the stamped image can be achieved with several shades of Distressed Inks gradually applied on the stamp and restamped with a stamp positioner. I like the effect. I have an idea to use this design with different colors for a set of Thank You cards.

Then, I took the next figure from the pile. The white and gold baroque design of the piece moved me toward a classic style. That night my Prima Marketing waxes arrived and I couldn’t wait to use them. Here is what I figured out. First, they are scented! Love it! ๐Ÿ™‚ Second, when applying them on clay figures, one or two layers of gesso won’t help to smooth the surface. One layer of Multi Medium Matte is much better. Third, they are easily applied on cardstock, so there is no problem with matching metallic paper details. I used wax for the edges of the bottom layer. So, I think I will use these waxes a lot :))

Also, I made four cards with a previous butterfly design in different colors for my shop, using Jane Davenport’s watercolors for the butterflies. The colors are so bright and beautiful! Hard to believe they’re not inks!

A butterfly card

Today I was in a mixed media mood. Also I needed a birthday card for a friend. So, here it is: a mixed media birthday card ๐Ÿ™‚ I played with a grungy set from Tim Holtz for background using blue and grey inks for stamping and his texture paste for embossing. I wanted the card to be light and airy. Then I cut a Spellbinder’s butterfly from watercolor paper. I colored it with Jane Davenport’s watercolors, love how vibrant it turned out. For some bling, I added Wink of stella shimmer on the butterfly, silver thread under her and some tiny rhinestones around. I put the butterfly a little off the edges and the sentiments far down to show her fly ๐Ÿ™‚

Faux leather technique and a couple of cowboy cards

Yesterday I tried a new technique – making faux leather from tissue paper. I learned it from Sandy Allnock’s video, and the leather turned out so real! I used Mod podge to glue the tissue paper, then I covered it all with white gesso and painted it with a Prima marketing’s Gold rust paste (which looks just like a yellow acrylic paint). For the brown I dabbed Tim Holtz Vintage photo disterss stain, and sealed it all with his collage medium. So, it’s a messy technique but totally worth it! I especially like how distressed it looks on the edges.

Then I made a couple of cards with it. I picked up a set of cowboy stickers in Jo-Ann the other day and decided to make a challenge for myself – make three or four cards with these stickers, since I never use stickers in my cards. So, the first two cards are here.

One is more cowboyish and the other is more cowgirlish. I struggled with the boyish one since the “leather” is a little heavy and there is not much you can do with it since it sealed. It doesn’t pick up inks from stamping, and I’m not sure if it can be embossed. Things to discover. So, finally I just made a dark die cut ornament and a shining star on the top. The girlish card came together more easily, since I noticed how the blue flowers and jeans paper fit each other. The star sticker, red-toned leather and white and blue paper make a perfect Texas flag, and all that was left for me to do was to finish it with faux stitches on the borders. I really like this card!

Abstract 4th of July cards

Today I continued to play with the Geometrical greenery set. First, I finished the green trio of cards with a partially watercolored one. Added a Spellbinder’s butterfly made from white cardstock and vellum.

Then I thought about the 4th of July coming, as well as red-and-blue card challenges, and decided to use the geometrical nature of leaves to make an abstract flag. So three simple cards came up with patriotic vibes and minimum embelishments.